There is so much a I love about Fall foods – the colors, the warming flavors, the sweet aromas. With squashes, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes are at their peak in Autumn I often get overwhelmed deciding which of these seasonal vegetable options to cook. My young boys are not as crazed about the flavors as I am and my restaurateur husband has been working like crazy and rarely is home for meals so I’ve had to get creative on how to enjoy the Fall harvest (much of which I get from my weekly local farm delivery From the Farmer DC). Since I make a smoothie still several times a week I opted to take my roasted sweet potato and turn it into a delicious, creamy milkshake-like breakfast packed with some added superfoods to power me through the day!
- 1/2 roasted sweet potato (wash a whole sweet potato, poke several holes around with a fork, roast at 400 F for 35-60 mins depending on size, or until soft or oozing slightly)
- 1 ripe organic pear
- 2 tbsp of organic cashew butter
- 1 tsp of organic cinnamon*
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom*
- 3-4 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp of hemp hearts
- 2 cups Hemp milk
- 4-5 ice cubes
* could use 1.5 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice in place of cinnamon and cardamom
- Add sweet potato and pear to blender. Add Hemp milk and then rest of ingredients. Blend. Enjoy!