If you follow me on Instragram (@addiespahrkim) you know that I am totally obsessed with making smoothie bowls. So when I started to see these blue bowls in my IG feed, I had to know what was in them and how to make them. Many months later I am still obsessed with these nutrient-packed, anytime meals. This week I made them for me and my boys for breakfast and called it “the cool blue breakfast” because we’ve had multiple days of hot weather and with no A/C and our house stays pretty darn hot.
Below is the recipe, but first you have to get your hands on the key color ingredient: Blue Spirulina! This vibrant algae is not just an eye-pleaser, it has tons of health benefits. I used the E3Live Blue Majik Spirulina. I also found this but have yet to try Raw Nice Blue Spirulina – it’s a little less expensive.
For the smoothie bowl:
- 2 large frozen bananas (chopped)
- 1¼ cup almond, coconut or hemp milk
- ¼ cup coconut -milk yogurt (I get the So Delicious brand of plain coconut yogurt)
- 2 tsp E3Live Blue Majik (slightly rounded)
- Handful of ice cubes
For the toppings:
- Any Nature’s Path or other granola (I often use a Gluten Free granola)
- Fruit: Any combo of raspberries, blueberries, diced strawberries, diced kiwi, dragon fruit, fresh peaches or nectarine
- Hemp Hearts and/or Chia seeds
- Can add a dollop of peanut or almond butter
- Drizzle of honey
- Start by preparing all of your toppings first. (Nobody likes a sloppy smoothie bowl!)
- Next add your frozen chopped bananas, ¼ cup yogurt, and ¾ cup of non-dairy milk to a high powered blender and blend until smooth – use the tamper if needed. I used a Vitamix which comes with the tamper device. If your blender is having trouble blending up your smoothie then gradually add more non-dairy milk a few extra tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency. You can always stop and stir with a spoon between blending. And you can add more ice to thicken if you get too much liquid. There’s a little trial and error with it – but it always tastes delicious!
- Add your Blue Majik and blend again until smooth. Pour into a large bowl, add your toppings, and serve!
Blue Spirulina has been reported to have some of the following benefits:
- Support of healthy inflammation responses after exercise*
- Support of healthy joints and flexibility*
- Support for antioxidant and cellular protection*
- Increased energy, vitality and endurance*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to treat, prevent, diagnose or cure any disease. This product has not been approved by the FDA.